You might often hear the term intellectual property (IP) thrown about and wonder what it refers to. Maybe you know it relates to inventions but are unsure of what else it covers? Perhaps you’re aware of copyright but not confident that you can identify copyrighted materials?
86% of UK small businesses say it’s important to them to know how to protect their IP. But if you’re new to IP and looking for simple information on how to identify and protect your assets, where can you turn?
The place to begin is with IP Equip. This is a free, online, interactive learning tool developed by the Intellectual Property Office (IPO) to help you understand the basics of IP. You can access it via desktops, tablets and smart phones and it’s CPD accredited.
Who is IP Equip for?
Whether you’re just starting out in IP or a seasoned professional looking to refresh your knowledge, IP Equip is for you.
Professional IP advice can be costly. IP Equip is a free and convenient way to gain a basic understanding of IP rights from the comfort of your own office. It’s packed full of information and advice on IP rights and can help you understand how these can help your business grow.
What does the course include?
IP Equip consists of four modules – one on each of the four main IP. These are:
- Trade Marks – Find out how IP can help grow your business by protecting your name or brand
- Patents – Learn how patent protection could help you achieve a market advantage
- Design – If exclusivity in design is important, this module will give you information on protection
- Copyright – Understand how copyright protects your creative works
Each module contains information on how to protect your assets and the benefits this can bring. They also feature real life case studies, who discuss how protecting their IP has helped them succeed.
You can access IP Equip at www.ipo.gov.uk/equip.
IP for Business
IP Equip is part of a range of online business tools produced by the IPO, called IP for Business, to help you understand and protect your IP. The toolkit includes:
- IP Health Check – A free online assessment of your business to help you identify and add value to your IP assets
- IP Equip app – A free app, available for iOS and Android, which gives you access to IP information on the go
- IP Master Class – A comprehensive course aimed at business advisors and professionals, available to complete face-to-face or online
More information on these tools is available by visiting the ‘IP for Business’ web pages.
Across the country we have Business Advisors who can help you to identify your IP, assist in helping you to protect that IP and then help you evaluate and value it. To set up a confidential meeting either in person or over the phone call 0333 444 8522 or email email@example.com